ruralstudio

First One down

Check tabs with torpedo level
Check height with site level
Drill 10 inches into building
Check hole is the right depth
Clean out debris
Put HILTI sleeve mesh in wall
Fill mesh with epoxy
Put the threaded rod in
Place washer and nut
Tighten nuts with a wrench
Rods ready to be trimmed

This week the team put up the first plate on the wall! First, they removed the clips from the conduit and strapped them in place to the scaffolding legs. This allowed the team to slide the plates behind the conduit and into place, and temporarily fix them to the wall with washers and tapcons anchors. In order to use the plate as a drilling template. The tapcons were removed once the first set of rods were cured and ready to receive washers and nuts. After all were done, the rods were cut to the desired length and tightened further with a torque wrench.

This week the walkway grate was delivered! Once all the walkway structure is up, there will be dropped in place.

Let’s Start Designing!

Hello from Reggie’s Home team! These past few weeks we have been busy continuing our site analysis while beginning some design iterations. With the help of reviewers: Andrew Berman, Julie Eizenberg, and Hank Koning we have been pushing forward with our design!

Bar Scheme
Divided Volumes Scheme

After Reggie-fying our case studies we landed upon two schemes, a bar and divided volumes. Each scheme aimed to build the minimal space needed to live in order to be able to maximize the space outside of the home. We also looked at blurring the line between the boundaries of the home. After talking to Andrew Berman, we realized that the bar scheme made the most sense because we would be building less than the divided volumes scheme. The bar scheme would also allow the complexity of the home to come from the way Reggie lives in it and not the architecture. Once we established we would move forward with the bar scheme we sat down and determined exactly what the bar needed to accomplish for Reggie to live the way he wants.

After we created guidelines for what the bar scheme needed to accomplish, we had a couple design charrettes and presented them to Julie Eizenberg and Hank Koning.

Bar Scheme Charrette

The conversation with Julie and Hank allowed us to understand that the building is only one part of our design. We also have to consider how the home will interact with the site. In a way, the SITE is the HOME.

In addition to working in studio on our design charrettes, we have also finished clearing out our site and have begun to conduct a site survey.

Thats all we have for now! Stay tuned for Soup Roast festivities.

Reggie’s Home team!

Testing, Testing…

As the team prepared to start installing the walkway structure, a pull-out load test done in order to understand the strength of the brick, and its relationship to the HILTI anchors. The team installed two anchors with washers and nuts at different locations on the wall and tested both to failure load….and they passed!!

Shortly before the team left for Birmingham, the electrical was roughed in. This week, thanks to Mason’s help, it finally became live!

The color for the block walls has been decided, soon be painted grey ( second from the left)

Getting Dirty with the 3rd-Years

With the decisions made in studio, the 3rd-Years have finally broken ground on Ophelia’s 20K Home! That first means putting up badder boards, and then again, and again, and again …and again. In total seven times. Hey they want to get it right! 

With the exact points and measurement from the boards the team traced the plan of the foundation to the ground and measured where the footing would step. The students also said goodbye to a huge tree hanging over the buildable site, so here’s a quick thank you to the tree for it’s sacrifice. On Friday, the students had an online meeting with engineer Robert McGlohn for conformation and advice on of the proposed foundation changes and approval on the new porch detail.

Finally Tuesday was excavation day! The real fun began as the 3rd-Years got their shovels and cleaned up the hole for the foundation. The students then split into teams to create a quick process for creating the formwork for their concrete pour. Other students also worked on bracing the formwork, laying rebar, adjusting the badder boards (yes, again), finishing construction documents, digging holes for pier foundations, and filling in the smelly pool that formed at the low corner of the foundation.

Taterhead (site cat) desperate for attention.

With the formwork made and the rebar laid, the 3rd-Years are ready to pour concrete. 

Prepping for walkway structure

In preparation for putting up the wall plates, for the walkway, the Horseshoe Courtyard team set up scaffolding on-site, and ground off the old threaded rods on the East facade. These rods used to be part of the structure of the historic balconies, back in the late 1800s.

Testing jig, and ease of temporary attachment to the wall with Tapcons and washers. Initial leveling of tabs done with string attached to the 2×4.

The team also took a day trip back to the shop to cut the 5/8 inch threaded rods that will be used to fasten the walkway pieces, as well as the footing plates to the concrete. And the 1/2 inch rods that will connect the screens to each other.